If you’re new to Analytics, you might encounter too many topics to explore in this particular field starting from Reports, Dashboards, Business Intelligence to Data Visualization to Data Analytics, Big Data to AI, Machine Learning, Deep Learning. The list is incredibly overwhelming for a newbie to begin his/her journey.
I really wanted to rank and check which one is currently trending relative to each topic among these five buzzwords: “Business Intelligence”, “Data Analytics”, “Big Data”, “Machine Learning”, “Deep Learning”.
I made use of my favorite Google Trends tool for my reference purpose. I’m interested to assess based on the worldwide data for last 5 years using “Google” search engine queries as the prime source.
I inferred the following from the above user-searched data:
- Big Data stayed at the top of the users’ mind for quite long time since 2012. However, Machine Learning is soaring higher from 2015, and it could potentially overtake Big Data in a year as the “hottest” skill-set to have for any aspiring Analytics professional.
- Deep Learning is an emerging space! It would eventually gain more momentum in 1 year from now. It’s essential to gain the knowledge of Machine Learning concepts prior to learning about Deep Learning.
- Needless to say, Data Analytics field is also growing moderately. For beginners, this could be the best area to begin your journey.
- BI space is starting to lose out its focus among the users thanks to self-service BI portals (and automation of building reports/dashboards), Advanced Analytics.
I happened to see few additional interesting insights when I drilled it down at the industry-wise.
- Data analytics is still the hot topic for Internet & Telecom
- Big data for Health, Government, Finance, Sports, Travel to name a few
- BI for Business & Industrial
- Machine Learning for Science
Users interest by Region says that China is keen on Machine Learning field and Japan on Deep Learning. Overall, Big Data still spread all over the world as the hot-topic for time being. Based on the above graphs, it’s quite evident that Machine Learning would turn out to be the top-most skill set for any Analytics professional to have at his/her kitty.
You can go through this Forbes article to understand the differences between Machine Learning and Deep Learning at a high level.
Pls let me know what you think would be the hottest topic of interest in the Analytics spectrum.